Thursday, July 3, 2014

Return Home

Well folks, I am home in the USA.

It felt so good to wake up in my comfy bed this morning, rested like I haven't been for the past 7 weeks. I woke to the familiar sound of my dad grinding fresh coffee beans.
It was amazing to drink filter coffee (I think I've had enough cappuccinos for a lifetime), eat breakfast, shower, do some laundry. Nothing felt as good as jumping in my car and cranking the AC as well as country radio.

As I was driving along the road, happily, I saw a familiar form--my sister. I pulled over and we embraced, then caught up briefly. She is my kindred spirit in a way no one else will ever be.

I got back in the car and drove to the DMV-- I had to get a replacement license. I was assigned a number and a wait time of over 90 minutes, so I went to the nearby Gardens Mall.

Our Hilton was in a mall in Budapest, and my mom and I just walked through it the other day, but for some reason the Gardens Mall amazed me. It was like I had never seen it before!
Also the palm trees that lined the road were extra beautiful to me.

I truly missed Florida. The sun shone brightly this morning and in the late afternoon a thunderstorm rolled in. I love that about summertime here.

Eventually I went back to the DMV, got my new license, and drove home.
I made a fantastic grilled cheese sandwich with tomatoes for lunch and we ordered pizza for dinner. It's great to make my own food again, and the pizza was pretty delicious.

I spent the rest of the day arranging work things in the coming week in Gainesville, doing more laundry, talking with my family, and watching the Batchelorette with my mom and sister.

I could not be more ready for Independence Day tomorrow.
Nothing has made me more appreciative of America as traveling abroad has.
I am so excited to don my red, white, and blue, possibly go to the beach, eat some barbecue, drink sweet tea, and watch a baseball game and fireworks.
I learned so much about American culture by seeing other cultures.
I am proud to be an American. :)

I'm still a little jet-lagged because it's 9pm (3am in Europe) and I'm feeling super sleepy.

I'll be wrapping up this blog shortly with a few more entries. Thanks again for checking in with me. :)

Goodnight,
Princess Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment