Thursday, May 29, 2014

Tuesday: The Sound of Music

Today was a marvelous day, just as I was expecting it to be. J

I awoke to the sound of rain. I looked outside the window that is literally only inches from my face to see the mountains surrounded by mist. Sigh. Paradise.

Katleyn and I had breakfast, including a delicious cappuccino, and caught an early bus to school. We met up with Hannah, whose generous host sister’s offered three of their precious dirndls to our cause. These are the traditional Austrian/German dresses that include a ruffley short sleeved dress shirt, long (ish) jumper, and apron (sometimes a contrasting color, other times the same color/pattern as the jumper).

They’re really cute, and Austrians wear them for special occasions i.e. church, going to see a show, etc. We tried them on and loved them! Jenna, former Salzburg College student who is now in charge of student relations, immediately snapped a few photos for us.

Before I knew it, it was time for Hannah and I to hurry off to the Salzburg Cathedral for the organ demonstration (excursion for our Arranging class). My friend Clary who had taken the class a few years ago told us about this excursion and I had ben looking forward to it ever since. It was definitely different than I imagined it, but still AMAZING. I got a few photos but unfortunately they are only for personal use. I can only use words then, and can simply quote my professor Johannes, “The organ is like an orchestra”. We learned about all of the different timbres that can be adjusted with levers, the octave doubling (which is the most important in terms of arranging), and how the pipes are varying heights. It was all so cool. About twenty to thirty minutes we stepped back out into the rain and made our way towards the Landestheater for our showing of the Sound of Music. It was the earliest matinee I’ve ever been to, but that did not detract from the charm.

First we met up with everyone else from Salzburg College and took a group picture. We also took a special photo with those of us in traditional garb, which was just Hannah, Katelyn and I and our friend John, who rocked his host brother’s lederhosen.

Then we entered the theater. Staircases to the mezzanine and balcony were coated in red carpet. We made our way to the orchestra where our seats were, and saw the coat checking station. The theater almost reminded me of the performance hall of the Mozarteum, all white and gold. The ceiling reminded me of Beauty and the Beast, with a grand chandelier and a beautiful mural. I suppose a lot of Baroque ceilings are like this, and I should not all compare them to the “Tale as Old as Time” scene. But I simply cannot help it. This blog title does have the word “PRINCESS” in it after all.

We all enjoyed the show very much, even though it was sung in German. There were helpful English subtitles, although we had to crane our necks to see them. At intermission I couldn’t help but buy myself a little snack. I was hoping for a Snickers bar but all of the children beat me to them. I ended up purchasing wafer cookies, which had a chocolate hazelnut flavor in between them. I hadn’t had wafer cookies in way too long! They remind me of ballet class, because I think I used to have them for a snack when I went to dance as a five-year-old. J

One of the coolest parts of the show involved Nazi guards standing in front of the doors of the theater while the Von Trapp Family singers performed at the festival at the end, making us feel like we were really there. I got goosebumps multiple times throughout the show, and there happened to be a kindergarten class on a field trip sitting in the very front row. A certain boy and girl within sight were especially excited, clapping their hands and leaving their seats to lean forward on the bar that held them from falling into the orchestra pit. They particularly loved the “Do a Dear” and “Lonely Goatherd” songs. Now that I am older I forget that the film/play has a plot for adults as well as parts for children.

After the show we all headed to lunch because we were STARVING. I joined Allison, Hannah, Sam, and another girl for a trip to the dirndl store, where Hannah finally got lederhosen swim trunks for her little brother. They’re pretty awesome, and everything in the store was half price! They went to the train station to inquire about tickets, so Hannah and I made a trip to the music store. She got the music she needed while I played with music boxes and took photos. We were still in our dresses and our feet were soaked in our little black flats.

We then grabbed a hot drink and hung out at the college, attempting to plan our trip to Italy for the free travel weekend. Really though, Hannah and I cracked up over silly things for at least two hours.

When she left to help set up for the evening barbeque, I decided to practice. It felt so good to actually sing. I learned my part for the Bach Chorale we are doing in Arranging. It is a possibility for the final concert. Right now we only have a miniature tuba, flute, violin, piano and voice, but hopefully for the final concerts we will add at least a viola to have a bit more of a complete orchestra.

After practicing classical singing, I went into another practice room to play to college’s guitar. I played covers by myself, and I can’t possibly describe to you how amazing it is to sit down and remember why you love something, purely through the feelings that are released.

I even played four chords over and over again and started improvising (basically scatting), and words came to me and there I had a lick to a new song. Creativity always strikes when I feel a bit melancholy on rainy days. I love it.

Time flew, I changed out of my dirndl and we walked to the student Catholic center where dinner was being held. We immediately met a few young Austrians and chatted with them. Then we were led to tables with cards, got drinks, and were playing Egyptian ratscrew within five minutes. Then it was time to get food.

I ended up waiting about twenty minutes to get a bratwurst (I simply couldn’t settle for an American hot dog, not even if it was cheese-filled), and therefore fell into the role of hostess. I started telling people about the options, helping them cut their rolls, and opening and throwing away bags. Lol. I don’t even know.

After I got my bratwurst I squeezed a bit of mustard on it and paired it with a beer. Unfortunately my seat had been stolen but I found a chair on the opposite end of the table. We were somehow labeled the “Fun table “or maybe it was just “loud”…Needles to say we were all having a good time. As usual, I whispered to my friends about the cute Austrian boys who we saw step in. Eventually we did talk to a few, and they were all nice.

We left a couple of hours later since we have class early the next morning. It was still raining when we went outside to catch the bus. It is rare that it rains all day continuously in Florida; we typically just get brief showers, especially in the summertime. I was cold walking home but you know me. I love the rain and the cold. When I’m inside though, I must admit.

Tomorrow is another day of class, which I’m not particularly looking forward to, but I love music history and arranging is growing on me. We also get to hear a talk from Konrad preparing us for our weekend trip to Vienna. We are all so excited to be in a hostel together again, since we are so far from each other at night, in different houses all around town.

I just love this trip so much, I never want to leave (just like my mom predicted…why are mom’s always right?). But of course there are good things awaiting me at home.

Peace from this quiet home,

Princess Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment